Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Make Deeper, More Sincere Friendships

There are simple things that we can do to have longer lasting more sincere friendships. It’s as easy as showing interest in the other person, investing time in the friendship, and accepting your friends for who they are.

Sincere Interest

Show sincere interest in the other person. Care about what they care about.

Years ago in Japan I had a very close Japanese friend. As an American I was interested in how he defined friendship. So I asked him, "What does it mean to be a true friend in Japan?" He thought for a moment and then replied, "If you went into a restaurant with your friend, without asking them you would be able to order a meal with which they would be perfectly satisfied. Or if you went shopping for clothing together, you would be able to pick clothes that would make them perfectly happy."

I was stunned. I had never thought of it in those terms before. I felt I had good friends, but at that level? I doubted I could order food for a friend; if I did, it would be what I like, not particularly what they would want.

My friend’s definition has stayed with me for years.

Read Full Article

Resources for

American Gift Club


Bookmark and Share

No comments: